Personalised Learning is one key prerequisite in today’s outcome-based learning approach. It involves continuously evolving learning content and experience that takes into account students’ strengths and weaknesses to improve their ability to achieve learning outcomes irrespective of their skill level. It is a key influencer for more versatile and engaging content to be created and curated by digital learning professionals.
A modern learning platform should cater for ‘personalised learning experiences, empowering instructors to design and develop personalised learning, while incorporating all-around feedback from students.
Image below is a backend setting of a learning pathway development process on ARGVLE LMS
How to personalise learning on your LMS?
It can be done in the following ways:
- Automation features: Set up and apply automation rules that get triggered based on students’ actions during a course.
- Gamification features – Award points, badges or mini-certificates to students for progress or completion of modules.
Image below is a sample view of gamified features on a personalised learning design process
- Accessibility & responsive design – Utilise modern learning platforms that is easy for students to customise and access learning materials on a variety of devices and at a font (style, size and colour) comfortable for their learning.
- Unique learning pathways – Remove, add, hide, unhide modules to students based on their personalised needs and preferences.
One effective model for personalized learning in digital learning is ‘Unique Learning Pathways’.
About the Learning Pathways
Learning pathways are a predefined selection of modules that are organised into one path for students, usually based on recommended knowledge and skills for a specific domain or role. The best part is that it can be linked to visualising students through their learning outcome and showing their individual learning progress and performance through it.
Image below shows settings where you can lock and unlock modules from students based on progress
How to Create Learning Pathways
- Breakdown core skills & competencies of the individual students
- Curate/create a set of modules and learning content to address these skills
- Define the learning pathway for students by the means of strong Learning Experience design.
- Set up the learning pathway in the learning platform
- Create steps, milestones, check-in points and feedback opportunities for the student
- Allow the student to track progress and reward completion of elements of the path
- Continuously update your learning path with new content & modules
Benefits of Personalized Learning Pathways
- Learning paths help students visualize their journey through improving their skills and what it will look like.
- Learning paths provide a good structure and practical buy-in of learners to the rollout of learning for their training.
- With archives of designed modules, course design is less reactive, and it can save on admin time within the Learning Management System (LMS),
- The more flexible and adaptable the learning path, the more personalised it will become. This will drive higher levels of engagement.
Implementing a learning pathway takes time, it’s always an intentional design process that enables lectures and learning professionals to factor in learning plans, track students’ capabilities and create learning routes, map out student profiles and Universal Experience Design Learning for the required learning outcomes.
ARGVLE LMS platform provides your team with an intuitive and strong learning experience platform as well as digital learning training support and resources for instructional design, tailoring social learning components and guidelines for personalised learning outcomes.
Contact us today and explore personalised options for your University.
Inspired and modified from Digital Learning Institute